Don’t panic, but Mother’s Day is only 11 days away! Have you even given more than a passing thought on what you’re doing for your mom?
I’m sure you’ve thought of breakfast in bed and jewlery, but if you’re wanting to try something different, we have some ideas for you!
Gifts that encourage relaxation
1. Homemade Lavender Bath Salt. Why homemade? I’d say it adds sentimental value, but it’s also to ensure quality. If you want to buy something pre-made that’s high quality, you could be paying $20-$40. But with some epsom salt, liquid soap, olive oil, and lavender oil, you could make it yourself. Check out http://blog.puravidabracelets.com/diy-lavender-bath-salt-mothers-day-gift? for the recipe.
Note: If you’re feeling ambitious, you can make homemade soaps too. You’ll need a double boiler and lye, but it’s do-able!
2. If you’d prefer something less ambitious than bath salts, there’s hundreds of recipes for sugar scrubs. http://dabblesandbabbles.com/oatmeal-honey-face-scrub/
3. A comfy pair of slippers filled with bath/cosmetic products. You could also use a mason jar instead of slippers.
Gifts for decoration
1. A candle in a coffee cup. The best part is that you can make this yourself! Sheknows.com gives a great tutorial for making a scented candle at http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/1039793/make-your-own-scented-candles.
Note: if your mom has a wild side, you can use a martini glass for the candle instead of a coffee cup.
2. Mason Jar Vase. It seems that mason jars are among the latest decorative fads when they’re done well. Using the right color of spray paint, you can coat the jar and find some flowers that accentuate the color…or you can purchase the one pictured from etsy.com.
Gifts that are useful
1. Top of the list is TrackR. It’s a coin-sized device that you attach to any item–wallet, keys, remote, etc. The app on your phone lets you track the TrackR so you never lose anything again…unless you lose your phone. The device is about $20 on ebay. see more at http://www.thetrackr.com.
2. Is your mom a coffee-lover? If so, this’ll be easy. A gift card to her favorite coffee shop, a new coffee mug, and after coffee mints are a few accessories sure to make her smile. (There’s a whole subculture that revolves around appreciating coffee that you can plunder for the perfect gift!
Note: If you get her mints, make sure to get her something with the mints. Do not give her a box of Altoids and then feign shock when she’s not happy.
Gifts that are edible
The concept of doing something edible is itself an idea, but there are easy ways of getting creative.
1. Glue your mom’s favorite candies at the center of artificial flowers and make her a bouquet.
2. No-bake cookies. Maybe you’re not that great at cooking (or maybe you’re just lazy). It’s fine; there’s no shame. Try this recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/peanut-butter-chocolate-no-bake-cookies-recipe.html. You’ll literally mix the ingredients and divide into cookie-sized piles. The laws of physics do the rest, and they’re really yummy.
Quality Time Ideas
For some moms, spending time focused on her says “I love you” more than even the most thoughtful gift. While this isn’t for every mom, consider taking your mom window shopping, for lattes, or even bringing her favorite takeout and movie to the house. As we said, this isn’t for every mom, but it’s for some moms.
We hope our advice has been useful. Feel free to leave your questions/comments/concerns in the comments. If you need more ideas, let us know!
❤ Carrie & Aurora